CIO Job Description
Chief Information Officer Job Description Available for Immediate Download
The Chief Information Officer's (CIO) role, responsibilities and influence is growing in today's boardroom. And the CIOs job itself is expanding as well. The CIOs of the next decade face many challenges. The CIOs who will succeed will have a common set of skills.
The CIO's and Responsibilities are expanding and the job description that is on file in most organizations is out of date. Key skills that need to be included are:
- CIOs both visionary and pragmatic - It is not enough to plan for innovation, the CIO needs to be perceptive and realistic. As an insightful manager, a CIO promotes broad technology agenda to help the business profit from leading-edge initiatives. At the same time as a pragmatist, a CIO deals with the realities of the business. The pragmatist also facilitates the productivity of current IT solutions. The CIO focuses on minimizing cost and maximizing results, in addition the CIO helps to increase the customer and product/service base of the enterprise.
- CIOs focus on ROI improvement of IT - CIOs will find new ways to help customers and the organization profit from how da
Changing Role of the CIO
The role of the CIO and CTO is changing as more enterprises more towards a "Value Added" role for the Information Technology function. Those changes are depicted in the detail job descriptions that have been created for all of the functions with IT -- especially for the CIO and CTO. The table below depicts several of those changes.
ta is used while focusing on managing budgets and processes to eliminate or reduce costs.
- CIOs inspire the enterprise and expand the business impact of IT - CIOs will have proven expertise in both business and technical facets of their role. CIOs will interact with the enterprise and its executive team as enterprise leaders and drive new business initiatives and shifts jointly the other members of the executive team.
As businesses move into the cloud, social networking, mobile computing and big data, CIO need to have skills in many disiplines. Some of the ones that are most in demand are:
- Enterprise Data Management
- Partner and Vendor Management
- Project Management
- IT Security and Compliance