IT Skills in High Demand - Salaries will go up
Will IT Salaries go up!
IT Skills in High Demand - Salaries will go up - IT salaries are projected to rise according to Robert Half International, though they've been largely flat this year' figures. But Robert Half foresees bigger raises in what it calls "seven high-potential jobs.
A common feature of high-demand jobs is a large degree of specialization. Professionals with the best prospects have finely tuned abilities that enable their companies to take advantage of new technology and the increasing amount of information available to them.
- Mobile applications developr - Those developing apps for smartphones and tablets can pretty much write their own ticket.
- Data warehouse analyst - The press release talks about the need for professionals who can effectively collect, store, analyze and mine data, though those could be a number of separate roles, all in demand.
- User experience (UX) designer - Those who create a positive digital experience for customers.
- Data security analyst - Base compensation for those dealing with ever-changing threats.
- SEO/SEM specialist - Salaries for those with three or more years of experience in helping companies.
- Network engineer - Starting salaries for those who can ensure the efficient and secure transfer of data and information.
- Web developrs - Base compensation is expected to increase.
- Health Informatics - IT Pros at the intersection of health care and IT are in such demand that the federal government has stepped in with aggressive training programs, some with free tuition.
- ICD-10 coders - The required switch to the latest version of the International Classification of Diseases has been called the health care equivalent of the Y2K projects, but with far too few people skilled to tackle it.
- Cloud computing - Though there's still debate about the essential skills for cloud computing, CompTIA has a new certification created in collaboration with major vendors to bring some focus to that area.
- Project managers - Among the wealth of material available on our IT Downloads center, documents on project management remain the most popular.
- Social media specialists - No longer just a time-waster to be controlled, savvy businesses are harnessing social media for competitive advantage.
- Vendor management - Managing multiple vendors is becoming ever more important as companies move to software-as-a-service and cloud computing.
IT Job Market Employment Gains
There has been a slight increase in the overall employment of IT professionals. For the last few months the number of individuals employed in IT has increased (seasonally adjusted) 54,200 in the last 12 months while still showing a loss of 6,900 jobs in the last 3 months.
Health Care vs. Financial Services Job Growth
Employment is on the rise in Healthcare IT and spending will reach $40 billion by the end of this year. Much of that growth will come from spending on electronic health record (EHR) systems, mobile health applications and efforts to comply with new government standards. Boosted by increased spending on healthcare software -- which is needed for the rollout of EHR systems -- the U.S. healthcare IT market is expected to grow at a rate of about 24% per year from 2012 to 2014, the study said. Spending on healthcare software rose 20.5% in the past year, from $6.8 billion in 2010 to a projected $8.2 billion this year. Recent mergers and acquisitions in the healthcare IT market also point to growing private-sector interest in software, which will see sales grow at rate of more than 30% annually from 2012 to 2014.
Versions of the IT Resource Hiring Kit
IT Hiring Kit - Standard Edition
- Latest IT Salary Survey - The salary survey draws on data collected throughout the year via extensive Internet-based survey instruments and completed survey forms from businesses throughout the United States and Canada. The survey data reflects IT salaries in 78 major cities in the United States as well as 23 cities in Canada. Summary data is provided in both the PDF document and a separate Excel Spreadsheet.
- Salary Survey Job Descriptions (PDF) The job descriptions are provided as a 206 page indexed PDF document for all of the positions surveyed. The PDF file can be viewed and printed.
- Interview and Hiring Guide (WORD and PDF) Includes two electronic forms (Background Check Authorization and Interview Questionnaire) and two full job descriptions (Manager Human Resources and Human Resources Specialist).
IT Hiring Kit - Silver Edition
- IT Hiring Kit - Standard Edition
- Salary Survey Job Descriptions (Word) The IT job descriptions are provided as 73 individual word files using long file names.
IT Hiring Kit - Gold Edition
- IT Hiring Kit - Silver Edition
- Internet and IT Job Descriptions (Word and eReader) The 300 Job Descriptions have been extracted from Janco's Internet IT and Position Descriptions HandiGuide™. Each job description has a copyright date of . - Includes all of the positions in the IT Salary Survey.
IT Hiring Kit - Platinum Edition
- IT Hiring Kit - Silver Edition
- Internet and IT Positions Description HandiGuide™(PDF) The Internet and IT Position Descriptions HandiGuide™ over 800 pages; which includes sample organization charts, a job progression matrix, and all of the job descriptions. The book also addresses Fair Labor Standards and the ADA. Also included are tools to help you expand, evaluate and define your enterprise's unique additional required. Those tools include:
- Job Evaluation Questionnaire
- Position Description Questionnaire
- Job Progression Matrix (Job Family Classifications)
- Candidate Interview Control Log