IT employment picture continues to improve
55,500 IT jobs have been added in the last 12 months and there has been a continued up-trend in the number of IT professional hired in the last six months
IT employment picture continues to improve - Janco reports that the latest BLS data shows a slight increase (8,400) in the number of IT-related jobs in June. The CEO of Janco, Victor Janulaitis said, “The increase as reported by the BLS is less than the 10,900 in May, but still an increase. ” He added, “The fact that total employment for telecommunications, data processing, information services, and system design sectors has risen by 29,300 jobs (seasonally adjusted) since January 2011 and by 55,500 in the last 12 months is a good sign. ”
Janulaitis noted, “… the job picture continues to be mixed for technology professionals. The data shows that telecommunications is still a depressed market with a loss of 28,400 jobs since June 2010 while there has been a compensating increase of 70,600 jobs in the computer systems design and related services sector. It is not clear as of yet that the recovery has taken hold - but the trend is in the right direction. ”
Janco feels that the IT job market will be soft for at least one more quarter. Janco predicts there will be more churn in IT staff as CIOs accelerate their move to more flexible staffing models. CIOs are outsourcing more technical work, including managed IP services such as VoIP and VPNs. They are hiring more contractors for desktop and security services, and they are putting more applications such as remote backup in the cloud. At the same time, they are looking to hire IT people with business and analytical skills, such as risk management and project management. CIOs report that they're having trouble hiring IT people because either they can't find IT professionals with the right business skills or they can't afford them. All of this means more turnover in IT departments.
(note - Charts have been updated with the latest data. If you want to see the original charts please contact support at e-janco.com. Text is the original text. Specify which charts and dates you desire and they are available for free to paid subscribers of the CIO - IT Manager Newsletter)
A robust hiring trend for IT Professionals - the recovery is slowing however, there are a number of jobs unfilled by IT Pros. The primary culprit is the lack of qualified individuals to fill the open positions. In our opinion, the IT Job Market is currently at no growth!
Based on BLS data analyzed by Janco in the first 3 quarters of 2022 an average of 200K IT jobs remained unfilled due to a lack of qualified individuals. In 2023 the number of unfilled jobs has fallen to around 100K.
The number of unfilled jobs trend line is down as the economy softens and CIOs and CFOs look to control costs and eliminate requisitions for positions that cannot be filled. There was a major pullback of the number of excess jobs for IT Pros occurred in December - layoffs have impact on number of unfilled jobs available for IT Professionals.
CIO Hiring Plans (updated)
IT Job Market Employment Gains
There has been a steady increase in the number of overall employment for IT related jobs.
In the last three (3) month the IT Job market grown by 21,500. This chart is not the originally published one, rather it is updated with the current data based on the analysis by Janco Associates, Inc. For the latest IT Employment Data click here.
IT Job Market Change - August 2023
IT Job market grew by 8,400 YTD in 2023 with economic slowing and major layoffs. Analysis shows that IT Job Market growth has paused and that AI hiring trend has not taken hold as of yet.
Health Care vs. Financial Services Job Growth
Employment is on the rise in Healthcare IT and spending will reach $40 billion by the end of this year. Much of that growth will come from spending on electronic health record (EHR) systems, mobile health applications and efforts to comply with new government standards. Boosted by increased spending on healthcare software -- which is needed for the rollout of EHR systems -- the U.S. healthcare IT market is expected to grow at a rate of about 24% per year from 2012 to 2014, the study said. Spending on healthcare software rose 20.5% in the past year, from $6.8 billion in 2010 to a projected $8.2 billion this year. Recent mergers and acquisitions in the healthcare IT market also point to growing private-sector interest in software, which will see sales grow at rate of more than 30% annually from 2012 to 2014.
For more information go to IT Job Market
Versions of the IT Resource Hiring Kit
IT Hiring Kit - Standard Edition
- Latest IT Salary Survey - The salary survey draws on data collected throughout the year via extensive Internet-based survey instruments and completed survey forms from businesses throughout the United States and Canada. The survey data reflects IT salaries in 78 major cities in the United States as well as 23 cities in Canada. Summary data is provided in both the PDF document and a separate Excel Spreadsheet.
- Salary Survey Job Descriptions (PDF) The job descriptions are provided as a 206 page indexed PDF document for all of the positions surveyed. The PDF file can be viewed and printed.
- Interview and Hiring Guide (WORD and PDF) Includes two electronic forms (Background Check Authorization and Interview Questionnaire) and three full HR job descriptions (Manager Human Resources, Human Resources Specialist, and Human Resources Generalist).
IT Hiring Kit - Silver Edition
- IT Hiring Kit - Standard Edition
- Salary Survey Job Descriptions (Word) The IT job descriptions are provided as 73 individual word files using long file names.
IT Hiring Kit - Gold Edition
- IT Hiring Kit - Silver Edition
- Internet and IT Job Descriptions (Word and eReader) The 324 Job Descriptions have been extracted from Janco's Internet IT and Position Descriptions HandiGuide™. Each job description has a copyright date of . Includes all of the positions in the IT Salary Survey.
IT Hiring Kit - Platinum Edition
- IT Hiring Kit - Silver Edition
- Internet and IT Positions Description HandiGuide™(PDF) The Internet and IT Position Descriptions HandiGuide™ over 900 plus pages; which includes sample organization charts, a job progression matrix, and 324 Job descriptions. The book also addresses Fair Labor Standards and the ADA. Also included are tools to help you expand, evaluate and define your enterprise's unique additional required. Those tools include:
- Job Evaluation Questionnaire
- Position Description Questionnaire
- Job Progression Matrix (Job Family Classifications)
- Candidate Interview Control Log