IT hiring slows loss of 2,300 IT jobs in October
The recovery is not here as companies continue to limit IT headcount growth
IT hiring slows October 2011. Janco reports that the IT job picture decayed in October. The CEO of Janco, Victor Janulaitis said, “2,300 jobs were lost in October - versus the gain of 31,800 jobs in September. ” Janulaitis also said, “According to the BLS data there was an overall loss of IT jobs with the telecommunications job market losing 900 jobs, computer system design and related services losing 2,300 jobs, Data Processing and Hosting losing 500 jobs, and with only a small increase (1,400 job added) in Other Information services. " He added, “For the last three months there has been a net loss of 4,800 jobs. The BLS data is in line with what we have found in our interviews with both CIOs and CFOs in companies that have IT departments with at least 100 IT professionals either as employees or contractors. ”
Janulaitis added, “The Labor Department reported of 80,000 plus new jobs in October -- versus 103,000 jobs added in September - and that is lower than the 130,000 needed for the US economy to stay even with adult population growth. ” Janco feels the IT job market will not show meaningful growth until the 2nd quarter of 2012.
Historic IT Job Market Size
Data complied by Janco Associates with data as of February 2024
IT Job Market Employment Gains
There has been a slight increase in the overall employment of IT professionals. For the last few months the number of individuals employed in IT has increased (seasonally adjusted) 54,200 in the last 12 months while still showing a loss of 6,900 jobs in the last 3 months.
Health Care vs. Financial Services Job Growth
Employment is on the rise in Healthcare IT and spending will reach $40 billion by the end of this year. Much of that growth will come from spending on electronic health record (EHR) systems, mobile health applications and efforts to comply with new government standards. Boosted by increased spending on healthcare software -- which is needed for the rollout of EHR systems -- the U.S. healthcare IT market is expected to grow at a rate of about 24% per year from 2012 to 2014, the study said. Spending on healthcare software rose 20.5% in the past year, from $6.8 billion in 2010 to a projected $8.2 billion this year. Recent mergers and acquisitions in the healthcare IT market also point to growing private-sector interest in software, which will see sales grow at rate of more than 30% annually from 2012 to 2014.
Versions of the IT Resource Hiring Kit
IT Hiring Kit - Standard Edition
- Latest IT Salary Survey - The salary survey draws on data collected throughout the year via extensive Internet-based survey instruments and completed survey forms from businesses throughout the United States and Canada. The survey data reflects IT salaries in 78 major cities in the United States as well as 23 cities in Canada. Summary data is provided in the PDF document.
- Salary Survey Job Descriptions (PDF) The job descriptions are provided as a 206 page indexed PDF document for all of the positions surveyed. The PDF file can be viewed and printed.
- Interview and Hiring Guide (WORD and PDF) Includes two electronic forms (Background Check Authorization and Interview Questionnaire) and three full HR job descriptions (Manager Human Resources, Human Resources Specialist, and Human Resources Generalist).
IT Hiring Kit - Silver Edition
- IT Hiring Kit - Standard Edition
- Salary Survey Job Descriptions (Word) The IT job descriptions are provided as 73 individual word files using long file names.
IT Hiring Kit - Gold Edition
- IT Hiring Kit - Silver Edition
- Internet and IT Job Descriptions (Word and eReader) The 326 Job Descriptions have been extracted from Janco's Internet IT and Position Descriptions HandiGuide™. Each job description has a copyright date of . Includes all of the positions in the IT Salary Survey.
IT Hiring Kit - Platinum Edition
- IT Hiring Kit - Silver Edition
- Internet and IT Positions Description HandiGuide™(PDF) The Internet and IT Position Descriptions HandiGuide™ over 900 plus pages; which includes sample organization charts, a job progression matrix, and 326 Job descriptions. The book also addresses Fair Labor Standards and the ADA. Also included are tools to help you expand, evaluate and define your enterprise's unique additional required. Those tools include:
- Job Evaluation Questionnaire
- Position Description Questionnaire
- Job Progression Matrix (Job Family Classifications)
- Candidate Interview Control Log