IT hiring expected to rise according to Janco
Networking skills are the most in demand
IT hiring expected to rise according to Janco - The IT job market shows some signs of improvement when it comes to hiring, but most companies still aren't expanding.
Robert Half Technologies, a national recruiting firm that has been conducting quarterly hiring surveys of CIOs since 1995, said a net 10% of those companies surveyed plan to expand their IT departments next quarter.
"That is the biggest net increase that we've seen in the last eight quarters," said John Reed, executive director of Robert Half Technology. About 1,400 CIOs were interviewed for the survey, released Wednesday, and of that number, 20% said they plan expand their IT shops. However, 10% plan cutbacks, for a net gain of 10% in hiring.
But Victor Janulaitis, the CEO of Janco Associates, which will release its year-end survey of IT managers in mid-January, said he expects his survey to show employers holding back on hiring -- except in a few regional markets.
"Companies do not know what is going to be happening, and everybody has their brakes on," said Janulaitis.
With Robert Half showing only a 10% net gain in hiring, Janulaitis said it's possible the two firms may not be far apart in their assessments.
Robert Half's forecast for next quarter is still well below the relatively healthier pre-recession years. In December, 2006, for instance, that survey reported a net 14% increase in hiring, with only 2% of the responding firms cutting back.
The survey also reported that network administration skills are in the most demand. Network admin skills were cited by 57% of those surveyed. Windows administration and desktop support followed, at 56%.
Among the vertical industries, retail expects to do the most hiring, with 17% planning to expand their IT departments. Manufacturing was next, at 11%, according to Robert Half Technologies survey.
Reed said companies are seeing a lot of competition for IT professionals because of increased demand, but also because of a "lost generation" of computer science graduates that followed the dot.com bust.
Computer science enrollments halved in the years immediately after that downturn, and have only begun to turn upward again in the last few years.
Although a TechServe Alliance analysis of U.S. Department of Labor data shows a steady rise in IT hiring, the Labor data reflects what is going on in IT firms. The Robert Half data surveys firms outside the IT industry.
Versions of the IT Resource Hiring Kit
IT Hiring Kit - Standard Edition
- Latest IT Salary Survey - The salary survey draws on data collected throughout the year via extensive Internet-based survey instruments and completed survey forms from businesses throughout the United States and Canada. The survey data reflects IT salaries in 78 major cities in the United States as well as 23 cities in Canada. Summary data is provided in both the PDF document and a separate Excel Spreadsheet.
- Salary Survey Job Descriptions (PDF) The job descriptions are provided as a 206 page indexed PDF document for all of the positions surveyed. The PDF file can be viewed and printed.
- Interview and Hiring Guide (WORD and PDF) Includes two electronic forms (Background Check Authorization and Interview Questionnaire) and three full HR job descriptions (Manager Human Resources, Human Resources Specialist, and Human Resources Generalist).
IT Hiring Kit - Silver Edition
- IT Hiring Kit - Standard Edition
- Salary Survey Job Descriptions (Word) The IT job descriptions are provided as 73 individual word files using long file names.
IT Hiring Kit - Gold Edition
- IT Hiring Kit - Silver Edition
- Internet and IT Job Descriptions (Word and eReader) The 324 Job Descriptions have been extracted from Janco's Internet IT and Position Descriptions HandiGuide™. Each job description has a copyright date of . Includes all of the positions in the IT Salary Survey.
IT Hiring Kit - Platinum Edition
- IT Hiring Kit - Silver Edition
- Internet and IT Positions Description HandiGuide™(PDF) The Internet and IT Position Descriptions HandiGuide™ over 900 plus pages; which includes sample organization charts, a job progression matrix, and 324 Job descriptions. The book also addresses Fair Labor Standards and the ADA. Also included are tools to help you expand, evaluate and define your enterprise's unique additional required. Those tools include:
- Job Evaluation Questionnaire
- Position Description Questionnaire
- Job Progression Matrix (Job Family Classifications)
- Candidate Interview Control Log