IT Management Knowledge Base
CIO and IT Management Planning Tools
It is essential to have a proper backup strategy in place in case something goes wrong. Below are articles and links to tools that can help you in the Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Planning and execution process. This knowledge base has been developed by Janco Associate, Inc.
- News Feed
- Resume that is too long
- Resume that does not represent you in the best first impression
- Resume that is not structured well
- Resume that contains spelling errors
- Resume that contains grammatical and tense errors
- Resume that does not agree with your "social profile"
- Resume that contains a photo
- Resume that is not 100% accurate
- Resume that is the same for each job and company
- Not following up
- With the move towards more mobile and office site computing users are challenged to keep their BYOD device safe and secure
- Purchase Android devices only from suppliers who release Android patches quickly.
- Implement the locking feature on all mobile devices
- Utilize applications on the device from the vendor (Apple or Google) application store
- When possible utilize two-factor authentication or bio metrics
- Use device encryption
- Connect to Wi-Fi via a Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Utilize a Password management system
- Utilize anti-virus software
- Turn off un-used features like connections that are not used. If you don't use an application, uninstall it.
- Security and Hacking
- Identity Protection
- Access Management
- Mobile Computing
- Work From Home
- Budget Management
- Skills for New Technologies
- Data Privacy - With the rise of WFH, GDPR and CCPA data privacy is a top ten priority
- Browse secured sites only.
- Use a VPN. This will protect traffic where it is most vulnerable, the last mile between a user and a server.
- Know what your vulnerabilities are and use tools needed to combat them.
- Keep your devices up-to-date with latest software.
- Be cautious about opening or replying to emails from unknown senders.
- Make better and faster decisions
- Optimize the skills and opinions of all team members
- Minimize wasted time, energy, and resources
- Reduced wheel-spinning, ambiguity, and departmental politics
- Focus on critical results and outcomes
- Eliminated silos and focus on collective results
- Make the right first impression
- Have complete and accurate job description
- Have the candidate review the job description before the interview
- Communicate to the candidate what the interview will entail
- Be prompt
- Allow no interruptions
- Prepare for the interview
- Have materials to be provided to the candidate available
- Be enthusiastic make the job be the next best thing to sliced bread
- Provide a set of next steps at the end of the interview
Top 15 In-Demand IT Technical Skils
Management of IT functions driven by CIOs and enterprises' startegic direction
Data Management, Data Manipulation and AI Technical Skills are in high demand
Janco has identified fifteen (15) skills that are the highest in demand. They are all related to data management, manipulation, presentation, and artificial intelligence (AI). The median compensation for these individuals is just under $140K. Plus many of these positions are in the Web3 arena.
Read On Manager Artificial Intelligence Order Manager AI Job Description- Top 15 In-Demand IT Technical Skils
Top 10 Resume Mistakes
10 Things To Avoid In Your Resume
Order IT Hiring Kit Download IT Hiring Kit TOC- Top 10 Resume Mistakes
Top 10 Mobile Security Best Practices
Policies and procedures on how to deal with increasing mobility are the nemesis of CIOs around the world
Top 10 Mobile Device Security Best practices
Read On...Order WFH & Mobility Bundle Download Table of Contents- Top 10 Mobile Security Best Practices
Top 10 CIO Priorities
Top CIO Management and Planning Priorities
The top 10 IT priorities for CIO and C-level executives :
Download TOC IT Management Tool Kit
Order IT Management Tool Kit
- Top 10 CIO Priorities
How to stay secure when you are traveling
Protect your data from lost and theft - Best Practices for International Travel
Man-in-the-middle attacks easy to pull off. At public Wi-Fi locations, the airwaves are open and any attacker with a simple antenna can mount an attack.
To improve overall online security:
Order Travel and Off-Site Meeting Policy Download Selected Pages- How to stay secure when you are traveling
Work From Home alters home requirements
WFH & Telecommuting environment
Remote work is reshaping the office products industry. Statista says sales of home office furnishings have increased dramatically since the pandemic began, with office chair sales up more than 75%. A recent survey by the National Association of Home Builders found that 63% of buyers include a home office in their list of requirements. USA Today reported that sellers of backyard sheds saw up to a 400% increase in inquiries last summer, as outbuildings became attractive workspaces.
Order WFH & Telecommuting Policy Download Selected Pages
- Work From Home alters home requirements
CIOs role expands as hackers steal more data
CIOs role expands as hackers steal more data
After several high-profile hacks last few months, CIOs in all industries still find themselves learning about the hackers aggressively hunting customer's personally identifiable information (PII) data, financial records and medical histories.
In the Healthcare and Insurance industry alone over 100 million health records were illegally accessed last year. As a result, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners Cybersecurity Task Force has proposed a new Insurance Data Security Model Law.
Because insurance is a data-driven industry, regulators must understand what data is being collected and for what purpose the NAIC said. Today, regulators and companies have a need for data beyond what has been traditionally collected. But what regulators need is greater insight, not just more data.
All information is valuable. Hackers want whatever data they can monetize. CIO already know that breaches can happen to anybody. There is no such thing as 100% security, no matter the education or tech you throw at it. It is just a question of how we handle it, when it happens.
Currently, anti-malware and encryption stand as two big ways CIOs protect information. Nonetheless, protecting data going forward may be directly tied to CIOs ability to adapt to the changing roles of the position.
The role of CIO is very business driven now. There are so many avenues for hackers to come in that you cant just focus on tech. CIOs need to understand the entire business and be able to talk to the CEO and the board as well.
IT Job Family Classification System
Career path definition and compensation planning made easyCIOs role expands as hackers steal more data
Project Manager - 6 steps to promotion
Project Managers are challenged to deliver results on time and with budget
Project Manager - 6 step to promotion in a fast paced environment.
Read On Project Manager Order Project Manager Job Description
Sample Job Description
- Project Manager - 6 steps to promotion
Mobile device security at risk due to CIO decisions
WFH - Mobile Device a Security Risk
COVID-19 forced most companies to empty office buildings and move everything (and everyone) to WFH, remote locations and the cloud in 2020. Security shortcuts were taken because of the abrupt change to work from home and typically the transitions took place in a few days.
Also there were increased problems with IoT - especially as IoT devices in home environments accessed global systems via VPNs. This was the primary cause of spreading malware through the enterprise' information pipeline. A recent Verizon mobile security report reported, almost 50% of the users interviewed admitted that their company had knowingly cut corners on mobile device security.
Order WFH & Telecommuting Policy Download Selected Pages- Mobile device security at risk due to CIO decisions
How to verify a candidates information
IT Job Market is Recovering - Best Practices
The IT job market is recovering form the shut downs. Recruiting now is a priority for most CIOs. At the same time, candidates often say yes when they are offered a position even if they are not planning on taking the job. It is up to the company and its recruiters to create a situation that will assure that when they provide an offer it is accepted and the candidate actually starts.
Here are the top 10 things that recruiters need to do
Order Interview Hiring Guide Download Interview Guide Selected Pages- How to verify a candidates information