Top 10 CIO Staffing Issues
CIO and IT managers have staffing issues that need to be addressed if they want to achieve world class status and be the best places to work
CIOs and HR managers are challenged with many issues. Janco Associate's in its interviews with CIO and corporate executives has identified the top 10 management staffing issues they need to address as we come out of the recession. The top 10 issues are:
Updated with the latest survey results
- Retaining existing staff - As more opportunities present themselves IT professionals will have more opportunities to leave.
- Managing Work From Home - A large percentage of IT pros are now demanding this as a requirement
- Training staff in new technical skills - This typically is accomplished with new hires as well as specialized training for existing staffI
- Providing competitive compensation - Salaries for all employees have been constrained in the last few years. This needs to be corrected in manner that does not disrupt the organization in a negative manner.
- Improving employee morale - Many organizations have been pushed to their limits during the recession and employee morale is not what it should be
- Maintaining and improving existing productivity and service levels - With the impending changes the IT organization needs to keep it "eye on the ball". Change can cause a loss of focus
- Providing competitive benefits - General benefits and perks for all employees have been constrained in the last few years and employees have borne more of the cost (i.e. health insurance deductible and employee share of costs have gone up).
- Reducing employee burn-out - With the earlier focus on productivity and reducing costs many IT professionals have be working well in excess of 45 to 50 hours a week for several quarters.
- Managing organization culture - With the (hopefully) recovery IT organizations will have a new focus and direction. This in turn will result in organizational changes and impact the existing culture and environment.
- Providing viable career path - Employee mobility is a strong motivator and having good career paths is necessary to achieve this
- Utilizing social networking in the recruiting process - There is a new world out there and social media is now one of the components in the recruiting process.